Abortion by Pill
The Pill Abortion commonly known as RU-486
A medical abortion is one that uses medications to cause an abortion instead of surgical instruments.
Many women prefer a medical abortion because it feels more natural and they have more privacy than a surgical abortion.
Medical abortion is only available for early pregnancies less than 9 weeks and requires 3 visits. While, we offer medical abortions at our clinic most of the management is in the privacy of your home.
All medical abortion patients will have 24 access to the physician in case questions or concerns arise.
Abortion by Pill fee includes:
- lab work
- patient education
- consultation with the physician
- birth control if desired (select types)
- two follow up appointments
Medical abortion is not for every woman. It’s important to know exactly what to expect with the medical abortion and be honest with yourself about what you can handle. There may be heavy bleeding or strong cramping with medical abortions.
What to Expect
When you arrive at the clinic you will complete a patient health history form. You will be asked to include any current or past health problems, medications, surgeries, pregnancies and allergies.
Our initial evaluation will include your height, weight, blood pressure and pulse. Additional laboratory testing for is required for Rh blood typing, hemoglobin (anemia) testing, and drug screening.
An ultrasound examination will be done to confirm pregnancy and gestation.
Next you have a private education session where we will discuss how the medical abortion by pill works, go over risk and complications, after care instructions, birth control options, and answer any questions you may have. You will then have a consultation with the physician and your medical abortion pill will be administered.
The abortion pill/ Mifeprex (RU486) medical abortion begins with an oral medication taken in our office.
- The second medication, Misoprostol/Cytotec , will be taken at home as directed by the physician. These tablets will promote cramping and miscarriage of the pregnancy.
- Expect your bleeding to last between 9 – 16 days and may last as long as 30 days. This bleeding will be erratic, off and on, period like, spotting, gone for a day then back this is all normal.
- Your first follow up will be 2 weeks after your initial visit and require and ultrasound.
- Your second follow up will be 6 weeks after you initial visit and require a urine pregnancy test. Both follow up visits are included in the cost of the abortion by pill.